Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Paradoxical Advice for Writers

I found these awfully hysterical?? - a sampling of paradoxical quotes geared at writers. From Oxymoronica: Paradoxical Wit and Wisdom, by Dr. Mardy Grothe; and a few other treasured places.
"It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous."  Robert C. Benchley
"Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead."  Gene Fowler
"If it sounds like writing, I re-write it."  Elmore Leonard
"Be obscure, clearly."  E. B. White
"We are all failures—at least, all the best of us are."  J. M. Barrie
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."  Robert Frost
"I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper."  Steve Martin
The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes. Agatha Christie (I absolutely agree!)
"A writer should have another lifetime to see if he's appreciated."  Jorge Luis Borges
With sixty staring me in the face, I have developed inflammation of the sentence structure and definite hardening of the paragraphs.
Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research.
Darn, can’t recall where I copied the last two from!
Moana_B - Just for laughs J

3 comments:

  1. Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research.

    I heard this one before - these are great. Funny and oddly accurate. Great find - Thanks for stopping by - Well done to your brother too! <3 Shah .X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I LOVE these and the one that Shah just added. I heard a few before, but having them compiled like this is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they brought a giggle and they are so very true. Thanks for commenting Shah and AubrieAnne XX

    ReplyDelete